Saints

St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara is a native of India, born at Kainakary in Kerala on 10th February 1805 of an indigenous family. He had his formation in the religious Institute of the place, was ordained Priest on 29th November 1829 and became a religious on 8th December 1855 worked among and for the people of his country. He was engaged in apostolic activities all along his native land and his days full of merit came to a close at Koonammavu on 3rd Jan. 1871, lamented an admired by all.

Fr. Chavara was a true apostle of the renovation of the Christian life of Malabar. He was the initiator of the organized works of charity in Kerala. He started the first Catholic Printing Press in Kerala, founded schools not only for the Catholics but also for those belonging to other religious and esp. for those belonging to the lower castes. He was a true apostle of the sanctity of family life. He worked unceasingly for the spiritual renewal of the family, formulating norms and rules for leading an upright life. He was the reformer and organizer of the Syro malabar liturgy.

He was a man of Prayer in whom contemplation and action was blended so beautifully well. He founded the first indigenous religious congregation for men at Mannanam. He was much aggrieved at the absence of a religious congregation for women in the apostolic Church of St. Thomas. He longed for a house of sanctity where the girls of this land could learn spiritual matters and grow up as good Christians. His long cherished desire and the results of his several attempts, in 1866 on Feb 13, with the co - operation of Fr. Leopold Beccaro, Carmelite missionary, the first Carmelite convent of the sisters was inaugurated at Koonamavu, under the name "Third order of the Discalced Carmelites''. The motive of starting such an institute of religious life was not only for the self sanctification but also to help others in both spiritual and material matters. The congregation which began with 4 candidates is grow with 6300 members work in different part of the country and abroad. By this the Kerala women who were for the life confined to the kitchen at home, were brought to the limelight for the service of womenfolk. We do involve today in education, Pastoral social work, and healing ministry.

SAINT EUPHRASIA TOWARDS THE FULLNESS OF SANCTITY

Saint Euphrasia is a humble CMC nun who has personalized the prayer heritage of Carmel and lived according to the divine inspirations and rose to the heights of sanctity. For all of us who are called to be the beloved of God that is to be saints(Rom: 1:7), the spirit-filled life of Bl. Euphrasia is an example and to take a peep into her holy life would be proper and useful.

Rosa was born as the daughter of Elavuthinkal Antony and Kunjethi on 17 October, 1877 in Kattur which was in the undivided Trichur Diocese and now in the Diocese of Irinjalakuda. Besides three brothers, Rosa had a sister also, but she died in early childhood. Even in the midst of all wealth and pomp in the family, little Rosas heart desired only God. A good evidence of this is her offer of her virginity to God at the tender age of 9. After overcoming many obstacles she was able by the grace of God to become a member of the boarding of the kerala Carmelite Congregation in (founded by Bl. Kuriakose Elias Chavara in 1866) at Koonammavu.

In those days the Koonammavu boarding was the only place of virtue where the girls who desire religious life can go. There the boarding started in 1868 was taught orderly life and education and practice of virtue besides other handicrafts also were taught. This was a very good training place for the girls who desired religious life.

The Koonammavu convent was under the administration of Trichur Vicariate, started in 1887, but in the re-division of the vicariate (Trichur, Ernakulam, Changanassery) it came under the Ernakulum diocese. The first native Bishop of the Trichur diocese Mar John Menachery brought the sisters who belonged to Trichur diocese from Koonammavu. They were taken to the newly founded st. Josephs convent Ambazhakkad, the first Carmelite convent of the undivided Trichur diocese. Here on 10 May, 1897 the head-dress was given to Rosa Elavuthinkal who received the new religious name, Euphrasia of the sacred Heart of Jesus.

One of the important things that happened before coming to Trichur is to be noted here. This child, Rosa was always troubled by many serious sicknesses. From one such a very serious illness, she was saved by a miraculous vision of the Holy Family. The details of this vision and the reasons why she was allowed to continue in the convent were written in a letter by Sr Agnes, the then mother superior and sent through the sisters to Mar John Menachery the Bishop. This letter was the cause to have special attention towards this nun and also to cause the Bishop to order her to report her spiritual state truly to him regularly. This virtuous virgin after receiving the Carmelite dress from Mar John Menachery on 10 January, 1898 began to deepen in personal love for Lord Jesus. On 24 May 1900, the St. Marys convent Ollur was founded. That day itself Sr. Euphrasia along with others made her perpetual profession in this new convent and surrounded her whole self to Jesus.

The period from 1904-1910 when Sr. Euphrasia was the Asst. Superior of St. Marys convent Ollur and in-charge of the novices was a period of innumerable graces. When in the congregation officially novitiate was started it was Sr. Euphrasia who was selected to be the first novice mistress. It was at this time that the order of Mar John Menachery Mariam Thressia who is today among the blessed came to stay at the Ollur convent in order to discern her vocation. It was mother Euphrasia who was the novice mistress who gave the necessary formation to Mariam Thressia. More than mistress and disciple it was the coming together of two holy saintly souls guided by the Holy Spirit. In the deep experience of God both of them were great friends.

Mother Euphrasia who was appointed superior of the St. Marys convent Ollur from 1913-1916 served the sisters under her authority in a very exemplary way. She was able to do loving and kind services to all those who came into contact with her because of the divine love she received from the Holy Eucharist and the Sacred Heart of Jesus and her devotion to Mother Mary.

Mother Euphrasia grew in humility, poverty and holiness as she completely obeyed the will of God every moment. The whole life of this virgin was full of continuous prayer, penance and reparation. Mother Euphrasia who found contentment in loving Jesus, her divine spouse was always in the forefront in receiving censure and abuses. All those who approached her she helped with motherly love, prayer and good advice. This prayer help she extended to souls in purgatory also. After a long life of 75 years, Euphrasia, the praying mother passed away in the convent at Ollur on 29 August, 1952. It was a wonder that the church bell at Cheralayam parish began to ring without stop at her death.

To all those who prayed her intercession, the one who never forgets even after death, granted graces. God is revealing her great heavenly intercessory power through miracles and signs. This holy virgin who desired to become an unknown saint is raised today to the glory of the altar by the Almighty and the sweet fragrance of her sanctity is spread worldwide.

Mother Mary Celine the first Mother General of uifies CMC enjoyed the richest treasures of divine presence within her and abiding in the love pf her Spouse, crucified Jesus Christ she heroically respondedew to her vocation. She was born on 10th December 1906 in the family of Payyapilly at Mallussery village of Muzhikkulam parish and she was called to eternal rest on 23rd April 1993. she was most dealy loved to the end of her life to live in the spirit of intence charity by by being a blessing through her innumerable humble and challenging services to tyhe poor and needy around.Remedying the void and desperateness created in the minds of the people of God she reached out them through prayer and selfless service. she could lead the people of God to the green pastures of prayer and fresh water of brotherly love as well. Her death and aftermath are fully in accordance with her life.

Mother Mary celine was the first Mother General of unified CMC. her advices and teachings to her daughtes are published with the title" mathrumozhikal" through the words of this book we could see a zeolous soul fro God and Human. she used to say : 'oh! Holy Trinity , my fortune".

She was Alone with the Alone and she enjoyed, celebrated her life with the indwelling precesnce of Trinity and alwys enthusuastic toshare that joy and experience with others.

On April 9th 2018 she was declared as the Servant of God by the Major Arch bishop of Syro Malabar Church Cardinal Mar George Alencherry at Ernakulam Angamaly arch dioscece house, Ernakulam. April 23rd is the day of her rememberence.